BUILD UP YOUR SPIRIT!
Work to strengthen your spirit man. Recognize that man has a tripartite nature. There is a need to be strong in your inner man. You are a spirit who has a soul and lives in a body. Your spirit is that part of you that communes with God. If your spirit will be able to lead your body and soul effectively, it must be stronger than your soul and your body.
14 The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, But who can bear a broken spirit?
It takes a stronger spirit to sustain a man, to lead your soul and body. The soul is your seat of reasoning, will, and emotions; these can take you over and lead you through life. Certain believers are highly cerebral and can almost always explain every move of God away as merely physical occurrences. Such are soulish people. Others are just emotional; their decisions are more emotionally based than spiritual. Emotion-led believers always miss God in life because God is not emotional. God is spiritual.
Steps to strengthen your spirit man include:
1. Give it life: Getting born-again is the first step to strengthen your spirit man. Getting born-again brings your spirit man alive. You stop being just a body. Your conscience awakens and then you have a template to build on.
2. Feed your spirit: Matthew 4:4 says, “But He answered and said, ‘It is written, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.”’” Your spirit needs God’s word to survive. Open up to God’s word. Hear the word, speak the word, confess the word, declare the word, read the word, think on the word, soak it in, memorise the word. Doing these will fatten your spirit and make it robust.
3. Exercise your spirit: Spend time to exercise your spirit man by praying in the Holy Ghost. Jude 20 says, “But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit.” Praying in the Spirit causes your spirit man to rise up stronger like an edifice.
4. Worship: Spending time to worship God builds up your spirit.
5. Protect your spirit from pollutions and perversions.
6. Meditate on God’s word.
Beloved, know that you are more than a body and your spirit man is the leader. However, a weak spirit cannot lead your body and your soul. God’s plan is for you to be strengthened in your inner man.
Prioritize developing your spirit. Your life has many parts but the spiritual side of your life is the foundation upon which all other aspects of your life depend on. The Scripture says, “The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, But who can bear a broken spirit (Pro. 18:14)?” Your spirit is the real you.
Every human being has 3 parts – spirit, soul and body – but the spirit is the real man in every Christian and every Christian must understand that he is a spirit that has a soul and lives in a body. Therefore, your spiritual stance and stamina are what determine how the other aspects of your life will stand – whether weak, strong or excellent. The stronger your spirit, the stronger and more influential your life will be.
As a Joseph, you cannot afford to neglect the spirit side of your life. The time you spend to develop your spirit must be a very precious and sacred time to you because it is upon this that all other areas of your life depend.
To take care of your spiritual life you need to be constantly opened to the Father of all spirits, God. He made your spirit and the strength of your spirit as a Christian and as a Joseph will flow from God. You therefore must take time to fellowship with God; fellowship with God’s Word, fellowship with other men with stronger spirits. The Bible talks of the spirit of just men made perfect (Heb. 12:23b). These fellowships are ways to strengthen your spiritual life. You can’t afford to fellowship with stupid and foolish things as a Joseph because these will sap out the strength of your spirit man and reduce your potency in life.
Joseph went through a lot of difficult times but because he had a strong spirit he was able to go through all till he sat on his throne, and the ring and crown were placed on his finger and head respectively. These represent authority and dominion. Only a well-nourished strong spirit can obtain those two.
Till next week, go and win with Jesus
Rev Olusola Areogun