God and the devil have been engaged in an all-out war for the souls of men for a very long time. And as Christians, we are to be God's representatives on the earth in this war. We are His soldiers. We have been empowered with many a tool to bring forth destruction upon the kingdom of darkness. Sadly, however, in these modern times, we Christians have become increasingly confused individuals.
There no longer exists a clear demarcation between most Christians and the rest of the world. People are losing ground to the enemy and they are losing it fast. This problem I believe comes out of an identity crisis.
The Problems That Plague Today’s Christian and How To Solve Them. 1 Corinthians 10:11-13.
You are not the first person to pass through what you are going through right now and you must not fail God in your generation. When you understand the wiles of the enemy, he will not be able to deceive you anymore. Here are some of the major problems facing today's Christianity:
- There is widespread ignorance in the church about destiny, purpose, proper behavior, dressing, etc. It has reached the point now that a lot of Christians come to church already doubting the Bible without knowing.
- Most Christians are shallow in their word level, faith and spiritual walk with God. Majority of Christians today, can't boast of a steady quiet time, they barely know what the Bible has to say about their situation, future and their rights.
- Contamination of the sheepfold and pulpit alike. Giving birth to Christians who are too worldly to be called Christians and too churchy to be called unbelievers. I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. Revelation 3:15-16
- Lukewarm Christianity. It's doctrines like this that produce Christians who can spend more time watching a soccer game than they would in church on Sunday. The direct danger of this is that it puts you at loggerheads with God.
- Most Christians have become too fixated on, obsessed with and driven by the things of the world such as career, money, fame and status that they ignore the real reason why they are alive in the first place: which is to serve God.
Duties and Expectations of Christians Acts 9:6 Matthew 28:19-20 and Mark 16:15-18
As Christians we have many spiritual responsibilities. Your first duty as a Christian is as a Messenger of the good news to the nations. This is your core assignment. In my church, The Dream Centre of the Life Oasis International Church, one of our philosophies is that "Every member, a minister." The basic and general commission all Christians share on earth is to spread the gospel to all the nations. But it doesn't stop there. In Matthew's account, Jesus said we should baptize them in His name and teach them to observe all the commandments He has given us. God requires that every Christian must be competent and strong enough in their faith to be able to carry out the following:
- You must be able to teach the nations. This means you should have learnt enough from your Pastor, your Bible study and the Holy Spirit, to effectively teach the gospel to people anywhere you find yourself to a point where they can comfortable teach others also.
- You must have a strong understanding of the concepts and precepts of baptism. These Baptisms include baptism into Christ (the new birth), Holy Ghost baptism and water baptism.
- You must have a firm grasp of the commandments given to us in the old and new testament. This is important because it equips you to be able to guide and disciple new Christians to a place of understanding, for them to be able to follow those commandments properly.
Let's have a look at the remaining requirements that are added in Mark's account:
- You must be able to cast out devils. 2 Corinthians 3:17. This point is one area I'm hundred percent sure the majority of Christians and churches either don't believe in or push on the pastors alone. A Christian that doesn't know how to cast out devils from people or places, is like a soldier that doesn't know how to operate his weaponry and kill the enemy. You must become a threat to the devil, such that when you move into a new area, start a new job or meet a demon possessed person, the devil can be sure that you will cast him out and put a stop to his operations without negotiation.
- You Must Be Able To Speak In Tongues And Have A Clear Understanding Of The Advantage It Gives You. Romans 8:26-27. Speaking in tongues is a very powerful tool for the Christian because it gives the Holy Spirit room to pray through you. Knowing how to speak in tongues is one thing, understanding clearly, why you do so is another matter entirely.. However, the efficiency of this is directly determined by how well you understand what's happening. In, the bible shows us what happens when we speak in tongues.
- You must be able to operate at a level of faith and confidence that allows god to work through you to do his great work. In Mark chapter 16 verse 18, the Bible says, referring to us, that we shall take up serpents; and if we drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt us; we shall lay hands on the sick, and we shall recover. These are all miracles but they don't just happen automatically. If you don't believe me, just walk up to the nearest hospital and declare without faith that you're there to heal the sick, your failure is certain. In order to walk in the realm of the miraculous shown here, you must develop your faith in God and your confidence in His ability.